GGW Conference: 'Restoring Africa's Landscapes - the Way Forward'
The First conference on the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and Sahel Initiative (GGWSSI) will be held from 2-7 May in Dakar, Senegal, gathering more than 20 African countries North and South of the Sahara and all partners of the GGWSSI in a global event.
Following world leaders’ commitment to strengthen climate resilience through Africa’s GGWSSI during the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference of the Parties (CoP) 21 in December 2015, Paris, GGWSSI partners are coming together this year to expand the annual World Bank Group Sahel and West Africa Program (SAWAP) Conference to a first Conference of the GGWSSI.
- Deepen commitment of participating countries and organizations to transformational actions
- Communicate results achieved
- Share experiences and knowledge across implementing partners
- One day high-level segment bringing together African Ministers and development partners
- Three-days of technical sessions to exchange and share knowledge about programs and projects in support of the GGW
- Practical interactive seminars on innovation, communication and knowledge services
- Optional field visit to Kaniak and Lac Rose, Senegal (TBC)
- Confirmation of political commitment
- Road map for transformational action on the ground
- Strengthened GGWSSI Community of Practice
- Adoption of the Great Green Wall results framework
- New strategic directions for GGWSSI communication and knowledge management